[Nhcoll-l] Register now for workshop on Wikidata in paleontology, October 4-5, 2022

Erica Krimmel ekrimmel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 14:03:07 EDT 2022

You are invited to join us for a free, online workshop, *Using Wikidata to
capture and share information about paleontological collecting sites**,
scheduled for October 4-5, 2022*. If you are interested in attending,
please register by September 26th.

This workshop will build on experience gained by participants in Part I of
the series (*Using Wikidata to capture and share information about people
in paleontology*
<https://www.idigbio.org/wiki/index.php/Using_Wikidata_to_Capture_and_Share_Information_about_People_in_Paleontology>)
to explore the possibility of using Wikidata to curate community knowledge
about paleontological collecting sites. Participants will begin by defining
our information needs regarding paleontological collecting sites, including
flagging aspects of the data that may be problematic to share publicly. We
will then assess how these information needs could, or could not, fit into
a Wikidata model. We will use a predetermined set of representative paleo
collecting sites as test data for this workshop.

Participants should ideally have attended Part I of this workshop series,
although if they did not then prior experience with Wikidata is an adequate
substitute. Those who need a refresher on editing Wikidata records can view
the videos linked in the pre-workshop homework section of the workshop wiki
page
<https://www.idigbio.org/wiki/index.php/Using_wikidata_to_capture_and_share_information_about_paleontological_collecting_sites>.
Participants do not need to have experience with any other particular
technologies. Participants do need access to a computer with internet, and
they will be expected to block off time to devote to the hands-on nature of
this workshop.

*Please register via this Zoom link
<https://fsu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUocOirrTgvH9MsGARrXnqcvId0WTRCY0_X>by
September 26th, 2022. *We expect to cap registration at 30 participants.
Questions can be directed towards Erica Krimmel (ekrimmel at fsu.edu) or the
*#wikidata* channel of the Paleo Data Slack Workspace
<https://join.slack.com/t/paleo-data/shared_invite/zt-wtdqsnid-6Xe6cja4YuzFqmzIKfKzHw>.
This workshop is being organized by the Paleo Data Working Group.

*Erica Krimmel*
Digitization Resources Coordinator
Integrated Digitized Biocollections <https://www.idigbio.org/> (iDigBio)
Florida State University