[Nhcoll-l] collaboration with governemental institutions on collecting new specimens

Jutta Buschbom jutta.buschbom at statistical-genetics.de
Fri Sep 16 02:42:38 EDT 2022

Hi Lennart,

Within the EU, regular monitoring requirements exist for forestry and
fisheries, likely within the agricultural sector and certainly for eg.
Natura2000 and FFH areas. At the global level, FAO requires countries to
regularly monitor and report on their forests worldwide. Likely such
requirements also exist in other sectors.

While observations and measurements are made and samples are taken on a
regular basis, too often these don't find their way into well curated
natural science collections or to GBIF. Nevertheless these vouchers and
data are essential for monitoring species, genetic and phenotypic
diversity as well as their dynamics over time.

In addition, the EU has now a supply chain law. For this to be of
impact, it will be necessary to develop effective certification and
forensic genetics/isotope/etc. processes. For such approaches to work,
existing monitoring schemes and datasets need to be developed into
supporting high-quality reference datasets. Experience shows that
without a full chain of custody including well-maintained and -curated
vouchers it's not possible to achieve the statistical resolution and
reliability that is needed to keep the error rates to levels that are
acceptable for large-scale operation and impact.

There is a good reason why the FSC International, in cooperation with
several large institution, including Kew Botanical Gardens, is building
a worldwide, voucher-based reference collection fit for use for a range
of analytical approaches (https://worldforestid.org/our-team/).

Cooperation between natural science collections and governmental
agencies is essential for all of these biodiversity conservation
applications, which still have ambitious basic research requirements to
get them off the ground.

This is an important topic and following-up on Dirk's suggestion for an
offline exchange I would like to add SPNHC's Biodiversity Crisis
Response Committee's interest and expertise.

Best wishes,

Jutta

Statistical Genetics

Dr. Jutta Buschbom