[Nhcoll-l] [MOGELIJK SPAM ! *****] Preserve fish specimens

a.j.van_dam at lumc.nl a.j.van_dam at lumc.nl
Sun Sep 18 07:13:01 EDT 2022

Dear Maxine,

You could indeed do some experiments with glycerol to see if it would better preserve the colours. To avoid shrinkage, it is important that after fixation you transfer to glycerol by increasing concentration steps (e.g. 30-50-70%). A concentration between 65-70% should be sufficient to keep them well preserved and prevent fungal growth, provided that the RH in the room where the jars are kept does not exceed 70%.

You might also want to embed them after a complete glycerol transfer (30-50-70-80-90-95-100-100%) in polyester resin. Before embedding them, you should get most of the glycerol off the surface by using paper or cotton towels and cotton swabs.

Just before placing them in the unhardened polyester (3 layers: ground, middle embedding layer, and top layer), dip the specimens for about a minute or so in acetone and then cellosolve. This ensures that the polyester will bind to the skin of the fish.

Kind regards,

Dries

Andries J. van Dam<http://www.linkedin.com/in/andriesvandam> | curator-conservator

Anatomical Museum<https://www.lumc.nl/onderwijs/over-ons/anatomisch-museum/?setlanguage=English&setcountry=en> | Leiden University Medical Center | Building 3 (V3-32)
P.O.Box 9600 | 2300 RC Leiden | The Netherlands
Visiting address: Hippocratespad 21 | Tel: +31 (0)71 52 68356 | E-mail: A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl<https://mail.lumc.nl/owa/redir.aspx?C=O7wgy__4qEq-bCzDQhMP7IpMG33lsdEIUTcpXTatWwljNFWdpbtnBKj-HeYnbumJrkd3hILExAk.&URL=mailto%3aA.J.van_Dam%40lumc.nl>

Scientific associate | Natural History Museum London | http://www.nhm.ac.uk<https://mail.lumc.nl/owa/redir.aspx?C=O7wgy__4qEq-bCzDQhMP7IpMG33lsdEIUTcpXTatWwljNFWdpbtnBKj-HeYnbumJrkd3hILExAk.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.nhm.ac.uk%2f>