[Nhcoll-l] Mold on specimens (skeletal, taxidermy) and cardboard boxes

Mariana Di Giacomo maru.digi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 14:24:33 EDT 2022

Dear Chris,

I am so sorry you're going through this, it is a very challenging problem
to have. Mold is terrible.

First of all, I would agree with John about the use of PPE, nothing is more
important than people's health.
Second, I also agree with his recommendation to discard the cardboard
boxes. Just make sure that when you do that, you're not throwing away any
important written information or labels that may be present in/on them.
Third, John's recommendation about bone is excellent as well. Make sure you
test the ethanol on the bone surface before you begin, to make sure it does
not penetrate too deeply into the bone. The goal is for it to evaporate
quickly, so avoid dunking bone in the ethanol and use other tools such as
cotton swabs

Fourth, bleach on taxidermy is not a good idea. It is a damaging chemical
that will also bleach the specimens. Taxidermy is more complex to treat
because you will have hair, feathers, skin, keratin, and painted
surfaces and plant material on top of that. Ethanol can work in some cases
but in others it may remove the paint, so you have to be extra cautious.
HEPA vacuums with small attachments (and even cheesecloth or another
barrier to avoid sucking up hair or feathers) are your friends for an
initial cleanup but I would suggest collaborating with a conservator before
doing anything. It doesn't mean you'll have to have all taxidermy treated
by a conservator, but it may be that certain specimens that are more prone
to damage need that kind of expertise. Let me know if you want to chat
further.

Finally, the best approach, as you probably know, is to avoid this in the
first place, so it may be that you need to start thinking of mitigation
strategies or talk to people that run the facilities, so you can avoid
future similar situations. I'm also happy to provide any insight on
preventive measures.

Best of luck!
Mariana

*Mariana Di Giacomo, PhD*
*Natural History Conservator, Yale Peabody Museum*
Associate Editor, Collection Forum, SPNHC
Secretary/Communications APOYOnline