[Nhcoll-l] Formalin transfer

Dirk Neumann d.neumann at leibniz-lib.de
Thu Sep 22 01:42:14 EDT 2022

Hi Mandy and Tonya,

Formalin solution is a technical solution of the gas in water until it is saturated (37% v/v or 40% w/v); above this the vapour pressure drives the gas out of the water, i.e., the gas escapes into the surrounding air. This effect is well observable when formalin-fixing specimens in hotter climates, where the formaldehyde gas that escaped from the solution is trapped below the lid of the container, and escapes from the container, each time the lid is opened (which can lead to a considerable reduction of the formaldehyde concentration in the fixation container).

By leaving the lid on the jars, you may affect the off-gasing of the formaldehyde, but you could increase the water-changing intervals to mitigate this.

Hope this helps
Dirk