[Nhcoll-l] Maria, Running Moccasins, Pearson -- recipient of Iowa Women of Achievement Award, including for work for NAGPRA legislation

Lewis, Deborah A [EEOB] dlewis at iastate.edu
Fri Sep 23 11:12:46 EDT 2022

Hello, all,
Although she lived in Ames, Iowa, for her last 16 years, which has been my home since 1984, I was unaware of the work of Maria, Running Moccasins, Pearson (1932-2003) on Native American rights and respect -- that is, until I got a notification this week that she had been selected as one of four recipients of the 2022 Iowa Women of Achievement Award. Her fight to have Native American remains be undisturbed in a time when they were being removed for archaeological/anthropological study and public display was among her accomplishments. Her work in Iowa and nationally contributed to federal NAGPRA legislation enacted in 1990. Here is a link to her biographical information: Maria Pearson | Ames History Museum<https://ameshistory.org/content/maria-pearson> (scroll down past the list of other Ames residents of note).
Best wishes,
Deb Lewis

Deborah Q. Lewis, Curator
Ada Hayden Herbarium (ISC/IA)
Ecology, Evolution and Organismal Biology (EEOB) Department         Email: dlewis at iastate.edu
319 Bessey Hall                                                                                                Phone:  515-294-9499
Iowa State University                                                                                     FAX:  515-294-1337
2200 Osborn Drive
Ames, IA  50011-4009
  She/Her
    The Ada Hayden Herbarium:  Celebrating 150+ Years (1870-2020)