[Nhcoll-l] Invitation to join Art Bio Matters

Kasey Hamilton klh927 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 10:11:20 EDT 2022

Hi all,

I'm posting to invite SPNCH members to join Art Bio Matters, an
international community of curators/cultural historians, conservators, and
scientists with a shared interest in biological materials found in cultural
heritage. We'd love to connect with colleagues working with natural history
collections.

Any material that was once living can hold molecular information about its
origin, manufacturing process, and degradation. Biological materials from
animals and plants include bone/ivory, inlays (horn, tortoiseshell, etc.),
hair/fur, glues, paint binders, surface coatings, residues, and more.
Investigations of biological materials can help us to tell a more complete
and informed story about an object, its manufacture, and its place in
geography and time. Often overlooked, an understanding of biological
materials serves to better interpret and contextualize museum collection
items.

Visit artbiomatters.org/about for more information on who we are, what we
do, and what we believe.

Joining ABM unlocks access to our Slack workspace, where you can connect
with other ABM members, discuss topics of interest, and share research
highlights, job postings, or upcoming events. You will also receive
invitations to our featured speaker series and updates on our upcoming
conference, ABM 2023. Visit artbiomatters.org and click “JOIN” to become
part of the community!

--
*Kasey Hamilton *(she/her/hers)
M.A., Objects Conservation