[Nhcoll-l] Live Reesa vespulae in collections?

Gary Shugart gshugart at pugetsound.edu
Thu Aug 3 10:45:05 EDT 2023

Hi All: I id'd an additional live dermestid species* Reesa vepulae* or wasp
nest dermestid in some of our display material. I've been battling carpet
beetles or so I thought for years and assumed any infestations were from
carpet beetles (*Anthrenus *sp.,*Attagenus unicolor)*.  Ressa are
parthenogenetic so don't need a dispersal and mating stage to persist and
consume a greater variety of material than carpet beetles. I'm trying to
start a colony to test freezing regimes (similar to Linnie,1999) as well as
cleaning shrew skulls but the colony is slow growing. Is anyone using
these, or other small dermestids, for skull cleaning? If you have excess I
appreciate some living.

An id key to economically important Dermestids of Canada and the United
States.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1a5AjpD--hfo6oYTjywuCXgKXejx86R8B/embed?start=false&loop=false&delayms=0&slide=id.p1
Gary Shugart
Collections Manager