[Nhcoll-l] Temporary Modular Housing for Collections

Megan King megan.king at rutgers.edu
Mon Aug 7 14:33:54 EDT 2023

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone in our community has formerly housed their collection(s) in modular housing until another space is either renovated or built. We have 3 collections that are currently at risk in their current spaces and our institution has asked us to create a write up and budget for temporary housing until permanent housing can be secured.

For more clarity, the collections are our herbarium (~250,000), entomological collection (~200,000) and a small zoological collection.

This housing would be put in the center of our campus allowing for better access and more suitable conditions for our collections and those that work in them. This is a step in the right direction for us, however we have little knowledge on where to begin.

Additionally, if anyone can recommend collections that can be used as models, going from under appreciated to appreciated within their institutions and communities that would be excellent. This could include collections that were formerly in poor housing facilities, underutilized, lacked funding, etc.

I would be happy to talk one on one with anyone, and all advice, comments and suggestions welcome.

Regards,
Megan

Help a Herbarium! https://give.rutgers.edu/Herbarium

Megan R. King | Assistant Curator Education and Outreach | Collections Manager, Chrysler Herbarium (CHRB) | Graduate Student | Rutgers University, New Brunswick | Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Natural Resources | Department of Ecology & Evolution | Email: megan.king at rutgers.edu | Office: 848-932-4158