[Nhcoll-l] Inquiry about installing Germicidal Lighting device (405nm) in museum space

Dirk Neumann d.neumann at leibniz-lib.de
Thu Feb 2 15:57:48 EST 2023

Hi Laura,

why are those Indigo-Celan lights at all? To lower a potential (COVID) virus load in the classroom, or for some other reason?

With best wishes
Dirk

Am 02.02.2023 um 21:25 schrieb Robert Waller:
Hi Laura,
I have no experience with these lights but I am skeptical of their value in a classroom setting.
The risk to museum specimens of using lights having more short-wave (actinic, i.e. powerful) light will be a small, but certain increase in changes (damage) to sensitive museum specimens. I can imagine such lights having some (perhaps even significant) effect in reducing viral, bacterial, and fungal loads in high person-density spaces with low ventilation rates. It seems reasonable to expect their effectiveness to drop rapidly at lower concentrations of infectious agents as person-density and activity levels (hence breathing rates) are reduced and adequate ventilation is provided.
While this light may have health advantages in gymnasium locker rooms, I expect it would offer little or no health improvements in classrooms while resulting in a small but certain increase in risk to specimens.
Understand I am not an authority on health matters but some quick Fermi-like considerations of expected benefits and risks lead us to expect these lights are not appropriate for museum classrooms.
Rob