[Nhcoll-l] Sea Turtle Shell Mold

Christina Giovas christina_giovas at sfu.ca
Fri Feb 17 12:22:31 EST 2023

Hello Kayla,

The Canadian Conservation Institute has a comprehensive technical bulletin on mould mitigation which you can find here https://www.canada.ca/en/conservation-institute/services/conservation-preservation-publications/technical-bulletins/mould-prevention-collection-recovery.html#a3c

Section 2.2 deals with small outbreaks, which is what it sound like you have. While alcohol is one solution (I've used this in the past for skeletal collections)  the CCI also recommends a combination of freezing to break the life-cycle and vacuuming with a hepa filter to eliminate spores and further outbreaks. Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) should not be used on organic materials. Hope this helps.

Best,

Christina M. Giovas, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Archaeology, Simon Fraser University
National Geographic Explorer
Co-Editor, Journal of Island and Coastal Archaeology