[Nhcoll-l] Entomological (and dangerous) collections

Sergio Montagud sergio.montagud at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 07:24:28 EST 2023

Dear all,

This is a special question for entomologist curators. We have a large collection of insects (Coleoptera and Hymenoptera, mainly) in a standar small entomological boxes (26 x 19 cm). These type of boxes is half of the standard entomological box and was used extensively in the beginner of XX siegle.

But the preservation chemical that was used is creosote and all the box have a smell so strong. Due to the toxic and dangerous that is the creosote, we will go to change the insects in a new boxes, althoug the same insects could maintain the same smelt.

But the original boxes, with the toxic smell, we don't know what to do. They could be interesting because are ancient and historic. Some of them are labelled with original writting of the entomologist. In other case, without dangerous creosote, all of them would be preserved safely. But now...

What do you recommend? Anyone knows a safe method to preserve these boxes? Or maybe, like scince-fiction, one method to extract all vaporous creosote from the wood.

Thanks in advance!

Sergio