[Nhcoll-l] US source for butterflies

Catherine Early (she/her) cearly at smm.org
Thu Jul 6 21:56:36 EDT 2023

Hi all,

I have a bit of an odd request. We want to buy pinnable butterflies and
potentially other insects for a paid educational offering we're developing,
and *we are looking for a US-based supplier who only carries specimens that
were allowed to live their full lifespans and die naturally.* Could anyone
on this list recommend a supplier that meets that criterion? The closest
we've found in the US has been https://www.thebutterflycompany.com/, but
while they seem very reputable (supporting conservation and practicing
humane euthanasia), we know any euthanasia for this purpose may be a
problem for our target audience. Thanks!

Best,
Catherine

Catherine M. Early, PhD

*she/her/hers*

Barbara Brown Chair of Ornithology

cearly at smm.org

https://catherineearly.wixsite.com/home

We envision a world where everyone has the power to use science to make
lives better,
and we are committed to using STEM as a tool to advocate for justice and
equity.