[Nhcoll-l] dermestid colony slowing down

Scott Swann sswann at coa.edu
Fri Jul 21 16:43:43 EDT 2023

I have had,I want to say two problems with dermestids but that is
simplistic. The first is that someone introduced native dermestids to the
colony which are not nearly as proactive flesh eating wise but are good at
breeding. The solution was to let them die out and then start again with a
lock on the door. I have also experienced an inbreeding problem if it is a
long lived colony. the third problem was not well prepared specimens, my
colleague introduced specimens that were too moist and it killed the
colony. Let me know, curious

Scott Swann
Dorr Museum