[Nhcoll-l] dermestid colony slowing down

Cassidy, Kelly Michela cassidyk at wsu.edu
Mon Jul 24 11:32:23 EDT 2023

Have you tried giving them hamburger meat? Similar to the suggestion of greasy bones. Maybe bison mandibles are too low fat. Use 80% burger. I spread it on a piece of lab bench paper, and let it dry for a day or two so it doesn’t mold before putting it in the bug tank.

Some years ago, I was having problems with our colony, which has been going for decades. Somewhere on the web, I stumbled across the theory that some paper towels have residual systemic insecticide, often used in tree plantations to control beetles. I stopped using paper towels in the bug colony. I was feeding the colony with hamburger or cheap chicken thighs, dried on paper towels, when we didn’t have carcasses. I switched to lab bench paper and the colony rebounded. I’ve never put paper towels in the colony again, but I’ve wondered ever since whether it was coincidence or if the paper towels really retained enough insecticide to kill the beetles. Anyway, if you’re using paper towels, it’s something to consider.

Dr. Kelly M. Cassidy, Curator, Conner Museum
School of Biological Sciences
Box 644236
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-4236