[Nhcoll-l] Policies regarding "internal loan" of specimens for exhibit

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Thu May 11 15:25:30 EDT 2023

Andy,
At the Earth and Mineral Sciences Museum & Art Gallery we do require
internal loan forms for objects used outside of the exhibit gallery, which
is primarily paintings, sculptures, mineral specimens, and mining safety
equipment that is displayed in the offices of the Dean and some of the
university administrators, and the occasional loan to another museum on
campus. When objects from the collection are placed on exhibit in the
gallery we have a form we use to document the use and mark the place of the
object in the collection storage array.

The reason we have a policy for doing internal loan invoices for use of
collection objects on campus is to keep track of the objects. Over the
years, too many objects used in offices or reception areas have simply
disappeared during renovations, retirement of administrators, and so forth.
All of the internal loans are for no more than 12 months and are renewable,
and that means we check the objects once each year to make sure they are
still in place and in good condition. We adhere to the same standards for
office display as museum display, which means we also check light levels
(and sometimes temperature and humidity) in the areas where the objects are
to be exhibited before the loan is approved. Having the signature of the
borrower (e.g., the office occupant) on the loan form, renewed each year,
makes a very good check on where the object is.

Given the size and complexity of the collection-holding divisions and the
exhibitions at the Biodiversity Institute, I think internal loan invoices
is a must for you. That signature on the loan invoice holds the borrower
accountable for the object, and the documentation is good insurance against
loss or misplacement of the object.

Our internal loan form is essentially the same as for an external loan,
including the conditions on the invoice. As our mutual friend Sally Shelton
says, "Exhibition is just another form of storage."

--John

John E. Simmons
Writer and Museum Consultant
Museologica
*and*
Associate Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
*and*
Investigador Asociado, Departamento de Ornitologia
Museo de Historia Natural, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima