[Nhcoll-l] Immersive Media for Biodiversity Collections course on 6/21/23

Austin Mast amast at fsu.edu
Mon May 29 12:39:56 EDT 2023

Hi, everyone!  It’s my pleasure to announce this next event in the Digitization Academy’s course line-up.  Join me to hear perspectives from digital media artists, a documentary filmmaker, biodiversity collections professionals, and others, on opportunities at the intersection of biodiversity collections and immersive media in the 2-hour online event described below.

With best regards,

Austin

Austin Mast — Professor · Department of Biological Science · 319 Stadium Drive · Florida State University · Tallahassee, FL 32306-4295 · U.S.A. · (850) 645-1500 — Director · Institute for Digital Information & Scientific Communication · College of Communication and Information · Florida State University — amast at fsu.edu — he/him

Introduction to Immersive Media for Biodiversity Collections
Registration at https://forms.gle/nrmtrfHARjBMN43M6

This new course from iDigBio's Digitization Academy <https://digitizationacademy.org/> introduces the biodiversity collections community to emerging opportunities in immersive media, including augmented, mixed, and virtual reality and 360-degree photography/videography. We will introduce the types of immersive media, best-in-class examples of their utility, example hardware and software tools used to produce the experiences, and potential new directions in the space for the biodiversity collections community. Participants will gain an understanding of how immersive media approaches can be applied for research, education, and outreach. The course is open to everyone from the biodiversity collections and adjacent communities from around the world.

The course will occur via Zoom on Wednesday, June 21, from 3–5 pm ET (=New York City time).  The first hour will introduce the topic in a systematic way, and the second hour will involve panel presentations and Q&A.  The event will be in English.  We will send the Zoom link to those who have registered within a day or two of the event.

We are fortunate to have the following panelists join us for presentations and Q&A:

Andy Opel <https://www.andyopel.net/> (Professor, School of Communication, Florida State University) "Witnessing Climate Change in Norway: Immersive Media and the Science of Changing Species."

Lori Collins <https://www.usf.edu/arts-sciences/departments/geosciences/people/faculty/lori-collins.aspx> (Co-Director, Center for Digital Heritage and Geospatial Information <https://dhhc.lib.usf.edu/>, University of South Florida) "The Use of VR and Virtual Tours for Heritage Preservation and with Museum and Library Collection Applications."

Edward Stanley <https://www.edwardstanley.org/> (Director, Digital Imaging Division, Florida Museum of Natural History) "Leveraging 3D Digitization Efforts to Build VR and AR Interactives."

The course is co-led by Nicole James, MFA, and Alex Adkinson, MFA, with additional contributions from Alex Leeds and Austin Mast.

Direct any questions about the opportunity to Austin Mast (amast at fsu.edu).

The Digitization Academy is funded by iDigBio and Florida State University's Institute for Digital Information and Scientific Communication.  iDigBio is funded by grants from the National Science Foundation [DBI-1115210 (2011-2018), DBI-1547229 (2016-2022), & DBI-2027654 (2021-2026)]. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.