[Nhcoll-l] Long term storage of tissue samples in silica gel

Riley, Jody RBCM:EX jriley at royalbcmuseum.bc.ca
Tue Nov 7 11:21:53 EST 2023

Hello all,

Does anyone know about long term storage of animal tissue in silica gel, and/or a process to transfer specimens from silica gel storage to 95% ethanol for extended storage in -80 freezers?  Very specifically we have some bat tissue (ears) which have been stored in silica gel in cryovials, but in a chest freezer, for 8 years. We wish to transfer to our -80 freezers for extended storage where we currently store our specimens in 95% ethanol in cryovials.  We cannot find any literature that indicates silica is suitable for this type of extended storage. Thanks for your help!

Jody Riley
Collections Manager, Birds and Mammals | Archives, Collections & Knowledge
ROYAL BC MUSEUM
Traditional Territory of the Lekwungen (Songhees and Xwsepsum Nations)
675 Belleville Street, Victoria, BC Canada V8W 9W2
royalbcmuseum.bc.ca<https://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/>