[Personal_archives] Next listserv discussions

Hobbs Catherine catherine.hobbs at lac-bac.gc.ca
Wed Aug 13 09:55:32 EDT 2008

Hello Everyone,

Hope your summer is going well.

I'd like to finalize the schedule of guest spots on the SISPA discussion list for the next two discussions.  As you may remember, we will be inviting a guest to join the listserv once in mid-October and once in mid-April.

My aim for these next two sessions is to approach topics which involve personal archives from all types of creators.

Based on previous suggestions, I've drafted a tentative schedule:

*	October:  Family Photographs:
		Guests: Martha Langford (scholar at McGill focussing on family albums) and Allison Nordstrom (curator of photography at George Eastman House)--suggestions 	from Kathryn Harvey. I'm hoping we might read Rodney's article "Photography and Personal Mythology" from Queen's Quarterly for this one.
 Question:  Would you prefer to see a discussion specific to photography or one on non-textual archives more generally?

*	April:  Digital Personal Archives:
		Guests: PARADIGM project main contributor Susan Thomas (from the Bodleian)--a suggestion coming from myself and Heather Dean and Michael Forstrom at 	Yale.  I'd also suggest that involving Catherine Marshall of Microsoft with this one might spark great discussion?

I don't think we need to limit ourselves to one guest at one time and it might be a good pairing to have an archivist and a professional pracitioner/scholar together with us at once.

Please consider the above suggestions and send your thoughts on the discussion topics to the list before next Friday (Aug. 22nd).   And too, if you think you would prefer to see a different topic hit the list before these two, let us know.

Of course you're free to bring any thoughts or topics of discussion to the personal archives list at any time without the presence of an "expert guest".

Looking forward to hearing your ideas,
Catherine
(SISPA Chair)

PS.  I submitted several citations to the electronic records section of the wiki bilbiography a few weeks ago.  Ironically the wiki did not advise you of these updates.  So, there are some new sources there for anyone who's interested.
Just a reminder to all of you to add to the bibliography when you have citations which might interest all of us.
If you have a similar problem with the wiki, please advise Heather Dean and we'll try to fix it.

Catherine Hobbs,
Archivist, Literary Archives (English-language)
Library and Archives Canada
WS 598, 550 Blvd de la Cité
Gatineau, QC,  K1A 0N4

Tel: (819) 934-8331 Fax: (819) 934-8333