[Personal_archives] Personal archives

Forstrom, Michael michael.forstrom at yale.edu
Mon Oct 27 16:28:05 EDT 2008

I'm new to the list so, first, greetings everyone. I'd also like to add up front that I greatly enjoyed the articles and appreciate the authors willingness to put them out there.

When reading Rodney's article (to pick up on the last thread) I found myself wondering about possbile distinctions between family and other forms of personal or amateur photography (e.g. snaphots of/with friends/colleagues). As far as the display or circulation of photographs is concerned, I'm of the impression (this is just personal experience) that family photographs don't circulate as broadly. In other words, they serve foremost as historical records, keepsakes, and means of communication between family members. I sat through many slideshows as a child, for example, in which images of family members were presented without narrative, description usually limited to names and biographical facts. Assuming this is true, I then wonder if technology (digital photography, email, etc.) is causing a shift, and leading family photographs into a greater public life, or if it's merely a matter of a change in the means of transmission.

Michael Forstrom
Manuscript Unit
Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library