[Personal_archives] Last thoughts of the first day

Martha Langford mlangford at qc.aibn.com
Mon Oct 27 18:22:39 EDT 2008

About the notion of photographs as launching pads for oral history:
aren't we really talking about memory? What I've argues elsewhere about
the relationship between memory and photography in photographic albums
is that the content and organization of the photographs preserve the
characteristics of orality - that is, the photographs are a scaffolding
for storytelling and conversation. I think this recognition is important
because it changes the way we read the album - we should not read it, as
a book, but understand that the narrative is, as you say,
multi-directional. Orality offers both narrative and its interruption.

Our fascination with photography is its provision of visual facts and
photographic experience in one neat package. Photographic interpreters
like facts, but they are also drawn to good yarn and they look for its
spark in the image. Photographs are not just taken, they are occasioned
by a constellation of factors that make the moment seem significant.

'Night all.