[Personal_archives] Last thoughts of the first day

Jane Britton jbritton at library.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 28 12:49:12 EDT 2008

Martha's 'last thought" resonated strongly with me when I read them
yesterday. It has been my experience that families tend to relinquish their
photograph albums when there is no longer a relationship between memory and
photography, or when the keeper forsees an interruption in the chain of
"storytelling and conversation." We as archivists are often in the position
of knowing more about the family than the family themselves; we identify
people, places, events and attach the stories and facts gleaned from the
diaries, letters etc. in an archive of which the albums and photographs are
only a part. The donors see us as a place that is "safe"; that is, not only
are the physical objects preserved, but the memory is also. In the course of
preparing the material for "public" use we take the disparate parts of a
family archive and recast a web of meaning and context around them, in turn
offering to the family the possibility of a re-discovered narrative
(although obviously never the original one). Our position becomes almost
that of extended family, and for the researcher ours is the voice that is
the first encountered -- so the narrative "burden" passes from the private
to the public sphere.

The concept of "public" vs "private": we have a number of photograph albums
kept by girls and young women, many documenting time spent away from home at
school and on holidays. These are not public even at the family level; the
privacy of these albums is ensured by the obscure narrative whose language
is understood only by the participants in the experiences thus documented.
Teachers and fellow classmates all have nick-names with significance lost in
time; captions tend to exist only to reinforce the memory of the participant
in a clique with reference to shared misdemeanours, crushes and escapades.
The intended audience is small and entrance otherwise granted only by a
"gatekeeper".

A final observation: I've always wondered why so few people are identified
in early photograph albums, and feel envious of the complacent assumption
thus displayed that someone would always know who they were. Alas, how many
rootless souls inhabit these albums, as indistinguishable as 'rabbit's
friends and relations"  -- alas for us who try to document a living
community with the images of its forbears.

Jane Britton
Archivist, Special Collections
University of Waterloo Library
200 University Ave. W. Waterloo ON N2L 3G1
(519) 885-1211 x32445  FAX: (519) 888-4322