[Personal_archives] personal archives

Judith Colwell ucarchiv at nb.sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 28 15:04:15 EDT 2008

The photos that we have in a church archvies, amid personal papers, are
often taken to back up a report or to put a face on a church -- hence
alumninum souvenir plates  and postcards showing the image of the minister
and of the church exterior.  In some circles these would be art forms --
after all the engraving on the aluminum or tin took some skill.  Then the
question arises asking whether the church was as stern as the minister, or
was the minister pushing an image that he thought the church wanted.

As to pictures of funerals, etc. -- depends on the geographic area in
question.  I have some photos of people laid out in their caskets which
appear to be part of a culture.  And I vividly recall, from back in the late
1950's a schoolmate with her album of photos of her mother in casket and the
funeral.  Creepy to me, but ....

Judith Colwell