[Personal_archives] Tuesday evening

Martha Langford mlangford at qc.aibn.com
Tue Oct 28 21:22:30 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

What a rich set of responses! It's been a long teaching day, so I will
have to be highly selective and brief.

I liked what Jane said about archivists knowing more about the donor
families than some of the members do. A family's stories are no more
cohesive than any group's memories. What seems normal to me is that
there are secrets and narrative fragments that might come together as a
whole were the family to be assembled. We hear this when people say:
"you should ask my cousin about that, he knows." The album likewise
functions as an art of memory - there are bits and pieces of stories
secreted under every frame. I can't agree, however, that the early
compilers were complacent in their sense of always knowing and being
known. We ought to reconsider the idea that our forebears photographs
and photographic albums were intended for posterity. This is a back
formed notion. We might just as legitimately think of these things as
present-based entertainments.

Kristan, the incident you describe is a sketch. I wonder is the
daughters' sense of invasion might be connected to the maker of the
films, as opposed to the photographer.

Sylvia's comments about the life of the object - the photograph that has
to fend for itself in the real world of artists and archivists - are
fair enough, I suppose, as long as neither artist nor archivist makes
any claims to deep knowledge or universal connectedness.  I do think
that sensing that a photograph was once of interest to /someone/ is
rather moving, even if that interest cannot be fathomed.

Judith, the postmortem photographs you mention are of great interest to
at least one follower of this discussion and you'll likely hear from him.

Jeremy, thank you for putting some images before us! And what a
remarkable pair that is - the father, or so we guess, being in uniform
works on me as a punctum. As Barthes said, What a novel!

And so to bed.

Martha