[Personal_archives] Photography and Personal Archives

Barriault, Marcel Marcel.Barriault at lac-bac.gc.ca
Wed Oct 29 17:17:54 EDT 2008

This posting has made me pause to think, and overall I think Rodney's argument is both persuasive and founded. At the same time, I think there may be some exceptional cases where personal photographs are definitely not intended for public consumption. At least one extreme example comes to mind.

When I attended the GLBT Archives Libraries Museums and Special Collections (GLBT ALMS) Conference in New York City in the spring, one speaker, Nicholas Matte, a PhD candidate at the University of Toronto, spoke about his research into transgender and transsexual archives. He explained that some transitioning people keep photographic evidence of their physical transformation through hormonal therapy and sexual reassignment surgery. These photographs of the subjects' bodies are intended to keep a record of the physical transformation process, and also to help the transitioning individuals see the often minute changes that occur in their bodies over time. These photographs are sometimes shared with other people who are going through sexual reassignment, but only as a means to help them better understand the process they are about to experience, and the photographs, as a rule, are never intended to be shared with the general public. In fact, privacy issues and access restrictions for these records become key points in negotiations with archival repositories.