[SoundStudies] Wed 11 Sept, 4:30pm - WHC B04 - Allie Kieffer

Joseph Clarke joseph.clarke at yale.edu
Wed Sep 4 11:59:35 EDT 2013

The Yale Sound Studies Colloquium will be meeting this semester on the
second Wednesday of each month at 4:30pm in the Whitney Humanities Center,
room B04.

Please join us next *Wednesday, September 11*, for our first meeting of the
year. We will feature *Allie Kieffer*, doctoral candidate in the music
history, who will present the following talk:

*Conceptualizing Sound in French Musical Modernism: **A Case Study in Bells*

Music scholarship has, thus far, been limited in its attempts to put
musical compositions in contact with a methodology informed by sound
studies. In this presentation I address the difficulties and the potential
benefits of such an undertaking with respect to representations of bells in
French piano music around the turn of the twentieth century. Drawing on
discourses on bell peals in varied cultural spheres in France in the second
half of the nineteenth century, I explore ways in which musical composition
in this period may have been in dialogue with different historical
constructions of bells as a sonic object and, further, how these
constructions of bells as a sonic object speak to the intersection of
musical composition and histories of listening.

The Sound Studies Colloquium is a Whitney Humanities Center Working Group.
All are welcome to attend. Additional events will be held on *October
9*, *November
13*, and *December 11*. To subscribe to or unsubscribe from our email list,
please visit
http://mailman.yale.edu/mailman/listinfo/soundstudies or write to
joseph.clarke at yale.edu or lynda.paul at yale.edu.

Kind regards,

Lynda Paul, Postdoctoral Associate in the Integrated Humanities
Joseph Clarke, Doctoral Candidate in Architecture