[SoundStudies] SSWG -- Fall 2016!

Mary Horn mary.jones at yale.edu
Mon Sep 19 17:57:06 EDT 2016

Dear All,

Welcome to another semester of the Sound Studies Working Group! We're
excited to share our upcoming semester schedule, as well as details for our
first meeting of the semester.

We'll kick off the semester* next Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 5:30 in
WHC B-04! *For our first meeting, we will be reading selections from *John
Mowitt's **Sounds: The Ambient Humanities. * Brian Kane will lead
discussion of the *Introduction, Chapter 3: Whisper, and Chapter 5: Silence*.
As always, our lively conversation will be accompanied by refreshments.
Access to Mowitt's book is available through our classes v2 site, which you
can access here
(If you have any trouble downloading the pdf, join the Sound Studies
classes v2 site.)

Beyond next week, semester highlights and readings include:

*11 October*: Ana Maria Ochoa's *Aurality*
*15 November*: Ashon Crawley's *Blackpentecostal Breath: The Aesthetics of
*13 December*: *Sound and Safe: A History of Listening Behind the Wheel*,
by Karin Bijsterveld, Eefje Cleophas, Stefan Krebs, and Gijs Mom

As usual, we'll post readings before each meeting, and send reminders
throughout the semester. Each meeting will begin at *5:30*, and all
meetings will take place in *B-04 of the Whitney Humanities Center*.

Happy reading, and hope to see you all next week!

Nicholas Forster, Ben Glaser, Andrew Jones, Mary Jones, Brian Kane
Co-Conveners, Yale SSWG