[Tshwanelex-l] In-text cross-references; tilde function

SIEGEL, Jason jason.siegel at cavehill.uwi.edu
Tue Mar 12 16:46:04 EDT 2019

Hi all,

I'm working on converting a couple of dictionary projects from Word and PDF to TLex databases. I'm running into one big problem, which is that the dictionaries in question have in-text cross-references. One of them also has cross-references to equivalent lemmas at the start of the entry, in addition to the cross-references in text. I'll give an example from Richard Allsopp's Dictionary of Caribbean English Usage, which inspired one of these projects.

(h)a*ma*di*li n (Belz) [X] ARMADILLO (Guyn) [Prosthetic /h/ + AMADILI, folk pronunc of ARMADILLO]

In this case, the cross-reference comes in the etymology, while in other cases it appears in the definition or some other note. Is there any way that people have found to embed the cross-references automatically?

Also, is it possible to get two different tildes? One of my dictionaries has a tilde used for the headword, and a separate tilde for the pronunciation. Is there any way to have a separate function? Alternatively, is there a way to show a tilde character that is typed in that never gets expanded, unlike another tilde that may get expanded?

Best,

Jason

UWI

Dr Jason F. Siegel
Research Fellow in Lexicography
Director, Richard & Jeannette Allsopp Centre for Caribbean Lexicography
Department of Language, Linguistics and Literature
Faculty of Humanities & Education
The University of the West Indies
CAVE HILL CAMPUS
PO Box 64, Bridgetown BB11000, Barbados

Telephone: (246) 417-4468 | Fax: (246) 417-0422
E-mail: jason.siegel at cavehill.uwi.edu<mailto:jason.siegel at cavehill.uwi.edu>
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uwicavehill

Confidentiality: This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete this email from your system. Thank you.