[Tshwanelex-l] Upcoming macOS Catalina 64-bit

David Joffe david.joffe at tshwanedje.com
Wed Aug 28 03:32:12 EDT 2019

Hi again,

FYI, note also our current Mac releases DO run all the way up to
macOS Mojave (v10.14.6), but as they're not yet 'code-signed',
Gatekeeper will block it by default, which you can work around by:
- Clicking on the Apple menu icon in top left
- Click 'System Preferences', select 'General' tab
- Under 'Allow apps downloaded from' either select 'anywhere' or
add/allow an exception for TLex or tlTerm etc.
- Click 'Open' when running

The future 64-bit versions we're working on should be signed and
thus should work with Gatekeeper without the need to do the above.
Catalina will only run 64-bit applications.

Also a general FYI to users, we are also working on 64-bit Windows
versions of TLex, tlTerm etc. These will be initially released also
alongside our current 32-bit versions of these applications. The
main advantage of 64-bit for users on Windows is that the
applications will be able to use effectively 'unlimited' memory,
which is useful if you want to work with eg massive terminology
files like the IATE EU downloadable 2GB TBX format terminology data
in tlTerm, or if you work with really massive dictionary projects in
TLex then it can make it easier to work with these huge datasets (eg
the Gran Enciclopedia Catalana which has over 320K entries). If you
don't plan to load eg 2GB terminology files or if you don't have
such massive dictionaries, then it shouldn't matter, you'll be able
to use either the 32-bit or 64-bit version, mostly much of a
muchness.

 - David