[Wgcp-whc] Working Group/Poetics--1st meeting, Zukofsky

richard.deming at yale.edu richard.deming at yale.edu
Fri Sep 3 10:59:22 EDT 2004

Dear Group,

I hope the new semester finds everyone well.  As a reminder, the first
meeting of the Working Group in Contemporary Poetry and Poetics will
occur on Friday, Sept. 17 at 1 PM in Rm 116 of the Whitney Humanities
Center.  At that meeting we will discuss the semester’s agenda and also
begin dealing with our first text, “A”-9 by Louis Zukofsky.  On Sept 22
we will have a special session (though visitors are welcomed and
encouraged to attend) in order to take advantage of a visit by Zukofsky
scholar and poet Abigail Lang (UNIVERSITÉ PARIS III-SORBONNE NOUVELLE),
who will be passing through New Haven after the upcoming Zukofsky
conference, which is being held at Columbia
(http://www.writing.upenn.edu/epc/authors/zukofsky/100/).  Professor
Lang will be discussing with our group Zukofsky’s difficult but
fascinating “A,” and section 9 in particular.

Photocopies of readings for the first meeting are now available at the
Whitney Humanities center (the corner of Church and Wall) in a box
identified by the group’s name.  The readings include A-9 as well as
two critical pieces.  One is the introduction poet Robert Creeley wrote
for the 1967 collection of “A.”  The other is a chapter from Barry
Ahearn’s “Introduction to ‘A,’” (one of the first full length studies
of the poet), which offers a close reading of sections 8-12.  This
might be both helpful for those who may be new to Zukofsky’s work and
might work as a good way of producing discussion points.

Here’s a link to a useful biographical essay on LZ by Mark Scroggins,
considered by many to be the foremost authority on this poet.
http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/s_z/zukofsky/bio.htm

Other useful links include:
 http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/s_z/zukofsky/zukofsky.htm
And http://epc.buffalo.edu/authors/zukofsky/

“The Working Group in Contemporary Poetry and Poetics met every Friday
at 1 PM in room 116 at the Whitney Humanities Center at Yale University
to discuss problems and issues of contemporary poetry within
international alternative and /or avant-garde traditions of lyric
poetry. All are welcome to attend.”

---R. Deming, group secretary