[Wgcp-whc] Wg/Poetics--Oppen reading

richard.deming at yale.edu richard.deming at yale.edu
Thu Sep 23 13:39:15 EDT 2004

Dear Group members,

Via e-mail and discussions it seems that the name of George Oppen has
appeared the most as an author people would like to see discussed.
Thus, copies of his long poem "Of Being Numerous" (the title poem of
the collection for which he won the Pulitzer Price in 1969) are now
available in the WHC reception area, in the usual spot.  We will
discuss this on Friday, Oct 1, our next regularly scheduled
meeting.Again, the meeting time is 1:45 in the Whitney Humanities
Center Rm 116.

Some useful links (the first being perhaps the best context for his
work) are the following:

http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/speccoll/testing/html/mss0016d.html

http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/m_r/oppen/life.htm

http://www.onlinepoetryclassroom.org/poets/poets.cfm?prmID=944

http://writing.upenn.edu/epc/authors/oppen/

There are a number of names that came up frequently including Vallejo,
Whitman, Olson, Palmer, and Niedecker.  We can set the agenda and dates
when we meet on the 1st.

--R. Deming