[Wgcp-whc] WG/CP--Greetings and this semester's schedule

richard.deming at yale.edu richard.deming at yale.edu
Mon Sep 1 23:38:47 EDT 2008

Dear All--

The new semester is upon us and with that comes new possibilities, new
adventures for the Working Group/Open Seminar in Contemporary Poetics, an
ongoing venture jointly sponsored by the Whitney Humanities Center and the
Beinecke Library.  This will be a star-studded semester with three guests:
Michael Palmer, Ron Silliman, and Joan Retallack will all join us over the term
to discuss their work with us.  Not only are these three incredibly important as
poets, their work on poetics is extremely provocative and influential.

Our first session will be devoted to discussing the work of Frank O'Hara.  To
that end we have purchased 16 copies of the new Selected Poems (edited by Mark
Ford).  These are available on a first come, first served basis and are located
on the shelf in Rm 116 in the Whitney Humanities Center. I'll circulate a list
of poems we might focus on (merely as suggestions) closer to our initial
meeting.  Our first meeting will be Friday Sept 26 in Rm 116 of the Whitney
Humanities Center from 3-5.  Please feel free to spread the word about our
group, as all are welcome to attend, and regularly attending members get free
books.

Our schedule will be as follows, with each meeting being on a Friday and running
from 3-5:

9/26--O'Hara discussion
10/10--Michael Palmer discussion
10/17--Palmer visit
10/24--Silliman discussion
11/7--Silliman visit
12/5--Retallack discussion
12/12--Retallack visit

As usual, in advance of our sessions, I will provide via email a wealth of
supplemental information, online readings, and so forth to contextualize the
work that will be discussed.

On behalf of the WGCP's three coordinators--Nancy Kuhl, Jean-Jacques Poucel, and
myself--we would like to welcome everyone back and we look forward to seeing
people at our sessions.

Onward--
Richard Deming