[Wgcp-whc] WG/CP--9/26 reminder & announcements

richard.deming at yale.edu richard.deming at yale.edu
Wed Sep 24 09:41:31 EDT 2008

Dear All--

Just a final reminder that the 1st session of the WG/Contemporary Poetics will
be held this Friday from 3-5 in Rm 116 of the Whitney Humanities Center.  It
seems that there is still one cpy left of The Selected Poems of Frank O'Hara.
This can be found on the shelves opposite the door in Rm 116.

I have sent a series of links (including clips of O'Hara reading or being read)
and supplemental articles as part of earlier announcements.  These can be found
at our archive:
http://mailman.yale.edu/pipermail/wgcp-whc/2008-September/date.html

I will paste here the suggested poems and essays on which we might focus
Friday's discussion:

We should include in our discussion some of O'Hara's essays on poetics,
including his famous "Personism: A Manifesto." These are appended to Ford's
selection.  These essays are short, breezey, and of great importance to post
WWII American poetry

Poems:
Homosexuality
Walking to Work
Meditations in an Emergency
Mayakovsky
To the Harbormaster
Why I Am Not a Painter
Metaphysical Poem
The Day Lady Died
Rhapsody
Avenue A
Lana Turner Has Collapsed
"In Memory of My Feelings"
You Are Gorgeous and I Am Coming

Also I'd like to append here a few announcements of events that are forthcoming
on or near campus or that would be of significant interest to people on this
list.  First though I'd like to mention (and congratulate the editors) a recent
publication.

he Chinese Written Character as a Medium for Poetry
A Critical Edition
Ernest Fenollosa, and Ezra Pound, Edited by Haun Saussy, Jonathan Stalling, and
Lucas Klein
http://www.fordhampress.com/detail.html?session=8189198f0c3ce7e21d76050e90143666&id=9780823228683

A few semesters ago, we devoted a session to this important archival work by
Lucas and Haun that provides new insights into Fenollosa and Pound and this
seminal text.  This is an important contribution and well worth owning.

2 UPCOMING READINGS
Tomorrow:

BERKELEY COLLEGE
MASTER?S TEA
Thursday 25 September 2008
4:00 p.m.
The English poet Tom Pickard will read from and talk about his recently
published poem, Ballad of Jamie Allan, a finalist in the National Book Critics
Awards. A link to a poetry foundation review of this work leads here:
http://poetryfoundation.org/harriet/2007/11/make_this_my_default_location.html#more/

Ballad of Jamie Allan recounts the true adventures of an eighteenth-century
gypsy musician who lived on the English-Scottish Borders and died in Durham
jail, serving a life sentence for stealing a horse. Though once patronized by
dukes and earls, Allan lost their support as his wayward behavior began to
exceed their own. Drawing on newspaper accounts and court depositions, Pickard
brings the ballad tradition of stark reportage to life with his own genius for
the form. Through the words of his cohorts and contemporaries, Allan emerges as
a spirit of the Borders, that wild and historically lawless region where rivers
and fells set the stage for his captures and escapes.
Pickard is the author of ten books of poetry, including Hole in the Wall: New
and Selected Poems (Flood Editions, 2002) and The Dark Months of May (Flood
Editions, 2004). In the Chicago Tribune, Maureen McLane described the latter:
?Pickard?s erotic lyrics have a terrific economy, swiftness and obscene
(and alas unquotable) directness, conjuring remembered sex, shared blankets,
beds, knives and regret.? He has also written documentary prose about labor
history in the North, including We Make Ships (Secker & Warburg, 1989).
Sponsored by Berkeley College and the Departments of English and History

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

10/1
Group Member Jason Labbe will be reading  with fiction writer Hanna Tinti at
7:30 p.m. in EN D253 on the campus of Southern Connecticut State University in
New Haven on October 1st. Tinti is author of the short story collection "Animal
Crackers"and the new novel "The Good Thief." Labbe's poems appear in AGNI,
American Letters & Commentary,Barrow Street, Court Green, Indiana Review,
Vanitas, and other journals.  In
2007 he received his M.F.A. from the University of Virginia, where he was
a Henry Hoyns Fellow.

++++++++++++++++++

2 UPCOMING DIGITAL POETICS EVENTS

10/14

Young-hae Chang Heavy Industries
Digital Literature Reading
Tuesday, October 14 @ 7:00 pm
Linsly-Chittenden Hall, Room 101

Young-hae Chang Heavy Industries are the Seoul-based creators of some of the
most innovative and acclaimed works of online digital literature. Their
Flash-based animations of narrative text have been exhibited in museums
worldwide, including the Whitney (NYC), the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art,
the Getty (LA), doART (Beijing), the Centre Pompidou (Paris), the Tate (London),
and the Venice and São Paulo Biennials.  Their work can be viewed at
www.yhchang.com.

This event is hosted by the Yale English Department and is free and open to the
public.

Contact: Jessica.Pressman at yale.edu

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Interrupt 2008, to be held at Brown University from October 17-19, is a
three-day festival of readings, performances, and symposia organized around the
theme of ?interruption? in digital art and programmable literary practices.
Why ?Interrupt?? In computing, a hardware interrupt request or IRQ is used
to prioritize the execution of certain processes over others. It is a command
sent to the processor to get its attention, signaling the need to initiate a
new operation.

In the context of contemporary art, the act of interruption is a performance
that redirects threads of process and lines of thought into fields of new
expression. Interrupts trigger the moment when a process of creation yields a
public manifestation. The cycle of ongoing work is paused by a challenge,
calling for the attention of a provisional community: just as we read ICQ as
?I seek you,? we can read IRQ as ?I argue.? In this sense, interrupts
articulate critical thresholds at which formal expressions are offered up to
(or forced into) new circuits of communication, countering that which came
before and making a case for new artistic and political futures.

We ask you to attend and participate.

Artists in Residence:
* Young-Hae Chang Heavy Industries *

Confirmed Headliners:
* Alan Sondheim & Foofwa d'Imobilité *
* Laetitia Sonami *
* Eugenio Tisselli *
* Marko Niemi *

Details and arrangements to be confirmed:
* cris cheek *
* Abigail Child *
* Chris Funkhouser *
* Loss Peque?o Glazier *
* Talan Memmott *
* Bill Seaman and Penny Florence *
* Patricia Tomaszek *

Critics, theorists, artists and students who would like to attend are asked to
contact John_Cayley (at) brown.edu. We will be organizing two or more round
table sessions during the festival, and we invite brief presentations intended
to spark critical discussions relating to the work of interruption within the
context of digitally mediated language practices. Participants will also be
invited to instigate discussion at these round tables.

If you would like to attend, and particularly if you have institutional backing,
we ask you to consider supporting Interrupt with a registration contribution of
$50 (checks only please) made out to 'Brown University' and sent to:

Interrupt 2008
Brown University
Literary Arts Program
Box 1923
Providence RI 02912

For letters of invitation, please contact John_Cayley (at) brown.edu. Register
now.

To read more about what we mean by Interrupt and for other details about the
festival ? including the preliminary program, schedule, location, venues, and
accommodation information ? please refer to our website:
http://interrupt2008.net

Organized and hosted at Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design
by graduates and undergraduates from Literary Arts, Modern Culture and Media,
MEME, RISD D+M, and other departments.

Funding and support for Interrupt currently includes the following sources:
Brown Creative Arts Council, the Literary Arts program, RISD Digital+Media,
MEME, the Brown Graduate School, the Comparative Literature department.