[Wgcp-whc] Roubaud this Fri and Monday

richard.deming at yale.edu richard.deming at yale.edu
Tue Mar 24 23:44:30 EDT 2009

Dear All--

Just a reminder that we will be having 2 sessions in quick order.  The first
will be this Friday from 3-5 in Rm 116 of the Whitney Humanities Center.  For
that session we will be discussing the work of Jacques Roubaud, one of the
preeminent figures of OULIPO.  Jean-Jacques Poucel circulated via an earlier
e-mail a number of texts that will be our focus.  We'll also discussion the
most recently translated work of Roubaud's, entitled Exchanges of Light.
Copies of this are available (just a small hand full are left, so don't wait
any longer).  These can be found on the bookshelves across from the door in the
room where we normally meet.

On Monday we will have a special session.  This will be from 3-5 in the Beinecke
Library (come downstairs in the library and you'll be directed to the session)
where Roubaud himself will join us. Directly after our session there will be a
brief reading/launch party for Roubaud at the Yale bookstore. This is a rare
opportunity to meet and hear a major writer of truly international importance
who isn't often in the U.S.

As ever, the WGCP is open to any visitors and interested parties, so please feel
free to spread the word of these two sessions.

Below, I'll mention some good news and a reading announcement.

As ever,
Richard Deming, Group Co-Coordinator

*
Announcements:

Thurs. March 26, 8 pm: K. Silem Mohammad reads with our own Josh Stanley &
friends, at
the home of our own David Larsen:
527 Chapel Street, apt. D-1, which is 1/2 block south of Wooster Square.
NB that 8 pm is a "soft" starting time & that we're not likely to get rolling
til 9. Contact david.larsen at yale.edu for more details.

(That bio again:)
K. Silem Mohammad is a founding member of the Flarf collective and a professor
of
English at Southern Oregon University, where he curates the Emergent Forms
reading series. Collections of his poetry include Deer Head Nation (Tougher
Disguises, 2003), A Thousand Devils (Combo Books, 2004), and Breathalyzer (Edge
Books, 2008). Mohammad co-edits the journal Abraham Lincoln, and contends with
the online world at http://lime-tree.blogspot.com/

**
Lucas Klein's translation of a poem by Xi Chaun ( a recent visitor to the
WGCP)is part of a "translation slam" sponsored by The Pen American Center: see
it (and vote!)
http://www.pen.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/3294/prmID/1502

***
And finally a big WGCP congratulations to Ken Chen, whose manuscript was
selected by Louise Gluck to be the newest Yale Younger Poetry Award Winner. Ken
was a sustaining member of the WGCP while he was at Yale Law School and now he's
part of our Manhattan away team.