[Wgcp-whc] next session 2/12--Tim Young and invented languages

Richard Deming richard.deming at yale.edu
Thu Feb 4 08:49:40 EST 2010

Dear All--

The minutes on our recent session featuring a discussion with poet/
translator/publisher/raconteur Keith Waldrop is forthcoming.  In the
meantime, I want to remind everyone that our next session will be
Friday, Feb 12 at 3 PM.  This session will be held at the Beinecke
Library, not at our usual room. A description of our focus is below
and features links to supplemental readings.

Also, I wanted to send links to some terrific translations by new
group member Hilary Kaplan.  Hilary is translating work by Brazilian
poet Angélica Freitas whose work is in dialogue with many of the
contemporary American and French avant-garde poets that have been the
group's ongoing focus.
http://www.digitalartifactmagazine.com/issue2/translating_poems_from_angelica_freitas_rilke_shake_poems_poemas

http://www.princeton.edu/~prowom/graduate/critical_matrix/cm_current.html

And since I'm giving news--see this nice discussion of our very own
lovely and talented David Larsen and his work as poet/ translator that
appears on Poetry Foundation's blog. http://www.poetryfoundation.org/harriet/2010/02/proceeding-translation-brandon-brown-david-larsen/

And don't forget--we have a blog. http://wgcp.wordpress.com/
Ask for it by name.

Comprehensively yours,
Richard Deming, Co-coordinator

On February 12 at 3pm, the WGCP will meet in room 38 at Beinecke
Library with Curator Tim Young to discuss Russian Zaum poetry and what
Young has called the “pre- and quasi verbal” in books by poets and
artists. Young will show an exhibition of rare Zaum books and related
materials from the Beinecke Library’s Modern Books and Manuscripts
Collection. Remember to arrive just a few minutes before 3 because
there are some rules in visiting the Beinecke Library: All visitors
are asked to leave their belongings, including coats and hats,
upstairs in the lockers and racks on the main floor. If articles of
loose clothing (scarves, sweaters, etc.) are brought into the
classroom then they should be either worn for the duration of the
session or returned to the upstairs racks/lockers.  Please do not
bring food or drink into the library. Use of pens is prohibited.
Pencils only.

Examples of Zaum poetry, including Russian and English sound
recordings, can be found online in the Getty Center’s outstanding
exhibition, http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/tango_with_cows/
curated by Nancy Perloff.

http://faculty-web.at.northwestern.edu/german/rumold/transitionweb/Jolas%20Articles/From%20Jabberwocky%20to%20Lettrism.htm

Additional readings: