[Wgcp-whc] reminder of Friday's session and more news

Richard Deming richard.deming at yale.edu
Wed Mar 24 13:36:25 EDT 2010

Dear Poeticians,

this is email is packed with news.  First, a reminder that we will be
having a session this FRiday at 3-5 in Rm 116 of the Whitney
Humanities Center to discuss the work of Lyn Hejinian.  We'll be
concentrating on our discussion on Saga/Circus, her most recent book.
She'll then read the 13th at 4 PM in the Beinecke Library.  She'll
join us the next day for a special session of the WGCP.

Also, here I'll paste some info on some upcoming events:

+++++++++++++++

TONIGHT: Grad Poets Reading Series, featuring Cecily Parks

Grad Poets Reading Series: Cecily Parks
7:00 pm, Wednesday, March 24th
MacDougall Center Common Room
320 York St.

Please join us for our final reading of the spring semester.

Cecily Parks is the author of Field Folly Snow, published in 2008 by
the University of Georgia Press in their VQR Poetry Series.  The book
was a finalist for the Norma Farber First Book Award and the Glasgow /
Shenandoah Prize for Emerging Writers.  A PhD candidate in English at
the CUNY Graduate Center, Cecily teaches in the undergraduate creative
writing program at Columbia.

A small reception will follow.  Books will be for sale by the author,
CASH or CHECK ONLY.

Sponsored by the Yale Review, the Dean's Fund, and the Graduate Center.

For further information, please contact Justin Sider (justin.sider at yale.edu
).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please join us for a Yale student poetry reading on Wednesday, April
7th, 2010 at 4:00pm. Student poets reading their work include:  Alice
Baumgartner, Edgar Garcia, Amy Lee, Laura Marris, Caitlin Mitchell,
Rosanna Oh, Sarah Stone, Justin Sider, Kate Waldman, Eric Ward, and
Jeffrey Zuckerman.

As you'll note the WGCP is going to be well represented by stalwart
members Caitlin, Justin, Edgar, and Sarah.

This event is free and open to the public. The Beinecke Library is
located at 121 Wall Street, New Haven. For information about events in
the Yale Collection of American Literature Reading Series visit:
Readings at Beinecke Library.

+++++++++++++++++

  Patricia C. Willis, Curator emerita  of the Yale Collection of
American Literature (who once led a discussion of the work of Moore
for the WGCP), has recently launched a lively blog dedicated to the
work of American modernist poet Marianne C. Moore (1887-1972): http://moore123.wordpress.com/
. The site is “dedicated to postings and conversation about the poet’s
work and to gathering available poem texts, essays, and other
scholarly materials from internet sources and individuals. Please
submit articles, bibliographic references, links, and other useful
information.”

Please alert interested students and colleagues.

+++++++++++++
  And our very own Jennifer Gross sent the following celebration of
poetics and spring. Think British Romanticism meets Mike Kelley meets
LL Cool J.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXbrSALG684&feature=related

+++++++

And finally, I'll attach a CFP for a symposium to be held a year from
now dealing with Ron Silliman's ALPHABET, which the WGCP read and
discussed last year.

bringing you all the poetics that fits the print,
Richard Deming