[Wgcp-whc] Welcome back, WGCP schedule for fall 2011

Richard Deming richard.deming at yale.edu
Wed Aug 31 13:26:18 EDT 2011

Dear Friends,

We are now at the beginning of a new semester and a new academic year and it is time once gain for the Yale Poetics Group to spring to life.  This will be an especially lively semester with a strong series of visitors and some additional readings on campus that would interest people on this list. Moreover, our first two visitors are two of the youngest that we have invited to campus. We’ll be very cutting edge that way.

We will have three visitors to the WGCP this term.  The first two can be announced: Ben Lerner and Claudia Rankine.  As soon as the third is finalized, I’ll announce that as well. As is our standard practice, we will devote a session to discussing recent work by upcoming visitors in advance of their arrival so that our conversation with the respective writers can be as engaging and productive as possible.  As part of a inter-group collaboration, these first two visitors are also being brought to campus to read by the Graduate Student Poetry Series, run by our very own Justin Sider and Sarah Stone. Thus, we will have multiple opportunities to get a sense of the work not only on the page but live and in person as well.

The initial dates that we will meet are as follows:

9/16—discussion of Ben Lerner’s Mean Free Path

9/30—visit by Ben Lerner

10/21—Discussion of Claudia Rankine’s Don’t Let Me Be Lonely

11/11—visit by Claudia Rankine

As is our usual policy, the WGCP will buy 16 copies of the books to be discussed and will distribute them on a first-come, first served basis. Lerner’s Mean Free Path is expected to arrive early next week.  When these appear, I will let people know when and where they can get a copy. I’ll also give more of an introduction to Lerner and his work in that email.

Our meetings on the dates above (all Fridays) are scheduled from 3-5 pm.  We meet in Rm 116 of the Whitney Humanities Center on Yale Campus at 55 Wall Street (the corner of Church and Wall).

Here are the scheduled readings that will be of related interest to members of this list.

Rae Armantrout, Poetry Reading
Wednesday, September 14th, 4:00 pm
Beinecke Library, 121 Wall Street
Yale Collection of American Literature Reading Series

Ben Lerner, Reading
Thursday, September 29th, 7:00 pm
Linsley-Chittenden 317, 63 High Street
Grad Poets Reading Series

Dan Beachy Quick, Poetry Reading
Thursday, November 3rd, 4:00 pm
Beinecke Library, 121 Wall Street

Claudia Rankine, Reading
Thursday, November 10th, 7:00 pm
Linsley-Chittenden 317, 63 High Street
Grad Poets Reading Series

And of course we have a blog: http://wgcp.wordpress.com/

Since this is a new year, I do encourage people to spread the word about the WGCP to anyone who might be interested.

Remember:

The Working Group in Contemporary Poetry and Poetics meets every other Friday

at 3.00 PM in room 116 at the Whitney Humanities Center at Yale University to

discuss problems and issues of contemporary poetry within international

alternative and /or avant-garde traditions of lyric poetry. All are welcome to

attend.

My fellow conveners, Jean-Jacques Poucel and Nancy Kuhl, join me in welcoming everyone back—and greeting new members.

Unswervingly yours,

Richard Deming, Group Coordinator