[Wgcp-whc] Friday 3/25--Creeley's Letters and Kaplan Harris

Richard Deming richard.deming at yale.edu
Fri Mar 18 10:54:33 EDT 2011

Dear All,

next Friday, March 25, from 3-5 we will be having our now annual Beinecke session. We will be joined by the scholar Kaplan Harris, who is editing with Rod Smith and Peter Baker the forthcoming volume of the selected correspondence of Robert Creeley. Harris will talk with us about the letters themselves, with some particular attention to the letters to Pound and WIlliam Carlos Williams (as the papers of these two poets are at the Beinecke), but he will also discuss with us the value of poets' letters and the process of doing archival and textual scholarship.

Here is Harris's official bio:

Kaplan P. Harris is Associate Professor of English & director of the
MA Graduate Program at St. Bonaventure University. Recent &
forthcoming criticism appears in American Literature, Contemporary
Literature, Artvoice, Wild Orchids, Paideuma, The Poetry Project
Newsletter, Jacket2, & Postmodern Culture. He is editing, with Rod
Smith & the Peter Baker, The Selected Letters of Robert Creeley
(forthcoming in late 2011 from University of California Press).
For a sample of the Creeley letters, look here for a selection these editors published in an issue of the online journal Jacket: http://jacketmagazine.com/31/rc-rodsmith.html

For anyone who might need a refresher in terms of Creeley's fascinating biography, this is a useful link:
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/robert-creeley

And here is a link to Creeley's author page at the EPC.

http://epc.buffalo.edu/authors/creeley/

Also, in April (specifically the 15th and the 29th) we will be discussing the work of poet/scholar Susan Stewart. Copies of her most recent book of poems are slowly coming in.  As of this afternoon there will be 8 copies of the book at our mailbox in the main office of the Whitney Humanities Center.  Given how quickly copies have been going, if you can you might stop by and grab a copy now.  As the rest of the copies come in, I'll let people know.

And finally a round of congratulations to our very own Charles Douthat who was recently awarded the 2011 L.L. Winship/PEN New England Awards!

Onward,
Richard Deming, Co-coordinator