[Wgcp-whc] session Friday--Jan Wagner (note room change); also Peter Cole talk on Thursday

Richard Deming richard.deming at yale.edu
Tue Oct 9 22:34:04 EDT 2012

Dear Friends,

just a reminder that we are meeting for our next session this Friday from 3 PM - 5 PM in the Whitney Humanities Center; however we will not be in our usual room.  For this session, we will be in room  B04.

And the reading for this session will be the work of Jan Wagner.  Wagner will be joining us at our subsequent session on Oct 26.  The packet is available as a downloadable pdf at the WGCP blog--
http://wgcp.wordpress.com/

Just direct your browser there and click on the link Jan Wagner WGCP Readings. The poems are available in English and the original German.

Also, there is an event occurring on Thursday that will be of interest to many on this list.  Our own member-at-large, Peter Cole is presenting a talk at 5.15 in conjunction with his truly remarkable new book The Poetry of Kabbalah:Mystical Verse from the Jewish Tradition (Yale UP, 2012). I'll post the information below.

Until Friday,

Richard Deming, WGCP Coordinator

Yale Literature and Spirituality Series
The Poetry of Kabbalah, the Kabbalah of Poetry
The Lana Schwebel Memorial Lecture in Religion and Literature
Peter Cole, poet and translator

Thursday, Oct. 11 | 5:15 PM
Marquand Chapel
(409 Prospect St., New Haven)

Lecture followed by reception and book-signing. Free; no tickets required. Plenty of free parking.

Peter Cole is the author of three books of poems, most recently Things on Which I've Stumbled (New Directions, 2008). Last April, The Poetry of Kabbalah: Mystical Verse from the Jewish Tradition was published as part of Yale U. Press's Margellos World Republic of Letters series. A book of non-fiction, Sacred Trash: The Lost and Found World of the Cairo Geniza, written with Adina Hoffman, was published in 2011 by Schocken/Nextbook.  Cole's other volumes of translations from Hebrew and Arabic include The Dream of the Poem: Hebrew Poetry from Muslim and Christian Spain, 950-1492 (Princeton), Aharon Shabtai's War and Love, Love and War: New & Selected Poems (New Directions), Taha Muhammad Ali's So What: New & Selected Poems 1973-2005 (Copper Canyon), and Hebrew Writers on Writing (Trinity).

Cordially,
Melissa Maier
Manager of Publications and External Relations
Yale Institute of Sacred Music
www.yale.edu/ism