[Wgcp-whc] reminder: Notley session today

Richard Deming richard.deming at yale.edu
Fri Apr 5 09:48:12 EDT 2013

Dera Friends,

just a reminder that we will be meeting today from 3PM -5PM in room B04 of the Whitney Humanities Center for our first session devoted to the work of Alice Notley, who will join us in two weeks for a conversation.

We will focusing our discussion on her book Culture of One.  Here is a link to a useful essay by Notley concerning her poetics: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/learning/essay/238698

However I will paste below the opening paragraph.

Until soon,
Richard Deming, Co-coordinator

For a long time I've seen my job as bound up with the necessity of noncompliance with pressures, dictates, atmospheres of, variously, poetic factions, society at large, my own past practices as well. For a long time--well in fact since the beginning, since I learned how to be a poet inside the more rebellious wing of poetry; though learning itself meant a kind of disobedience, so like most words the Dis word, the Dis form, cannot be worshipped either--and that would be an obedience anyway. I've spoken in other places of the problems, too, of subjects that hadn't been broached much in poetry and of how it seemed one had to disobey the past and the practices of literary males in order to talk about what was going on most literarily around one, the pregnant body, and babies for example. There were no babies in poetry then. How could that have been? What are we leaving out now? Usually what's exactly in front of the eyes ears nose and mouth, in front of the mind, but it seems as if one must disobey everyone else in order to see at all. This is a persistent feeling in a poet but staying alert to all the ways one is coerced into denying experience, sense and reason is a huge task. I recently completed a very long poem called Disobedience but I didn't realize that disobeying was what I was doing, what perhaps I'd always been doing until the beginning of the end of it, though the tone throughout was one of rejection of everything I was supposed to be or to affirm, all the poetries all the groups the clothes the gangs the governments the feelings and reasons.