[Wgcp-whc] Grad Poets Reading--Lucie Brock Broido

Richard Deming richard.deming at yale.edu
Fri Jan 31 15:52:46 EST 2014

 The Grad Poets Reading Series returns for the Spring 2014 semester with two exciting readings. The first will take place next Thursday, February 6th at 7:00 pm in LC 317 (63 High St., New Haven). The poet Lucie Brock-Broido will be joining us, reading with grad students Kevin Holden (Comp Lit) and Brandon Menke (English).

Lucie Brock-Broido received her B.A. and her M.A. from Johns Hopkins University, and her M.F.A. from Columbia University. Her most recent book Stay, Illusion, is a finalist for the 2013 National Book Award in Poetry. Her previous collections of poetry include Trouble in Mind (Alfred A. Knopf, 2004), recipient of the Massachusetts Book Award; The Master Letters (1995); and A Hunger (1988). In 2008, she edited and published Letters to a Stranger, Poems by Thomas James with Graywolf Press. Her awards and honors include the Witter-Bynner prize for poetry from the Academy of American Arts and Letters, the Harvard Phi Beta Kappa Teaching Award, the Harvard-Danforth Award for Distinction in Teaching, the Jerome J. Shestack Poetry Prize from The American Poetry Review, two National Endowment for the Arts fellowships, and a Guggenheim Fellowship. In 2013, she was given the Presidential Award for Outstanding Teaching.

We’ll have copies of Stay, Illusion available to purchase at the reading ($20, cash/check only).

Our next reading will take place much later this spring, when Paige Ackerson-Kiely joins us on April 24th.

For more information or, if you’re grad student, to read  in the series, please contact Paul Franz (paul.franz at yale.edu) or Justin Sider (justin.sider at yale.edu).  You can find our event page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/263932707102395/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming. And our group page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/YGPRS/.