[Wgcp-whc] Lauterbach today--Forrest Gander book available today--Gander session next week

Richard Deming richard.deming at yale.edu
Fri Sep 26 09:10:04 EDT 2014

Dear All,

Just a reminder that we will be meeting today at 3 PM in the Whitney Humanities Center. We will not be meeting in our usual room but in B04, which is in the basement. Come for the poetry, stay for the wine (or vice versa)

The copies of the book that will be our next session on October 3, Forrest Gander's Core Samples from the World (finalist for the Pulitzer as well as the National Book Critics Circle Award), are now available at our usual room (WHC 116).  These are on the shelves opposite the door and close to the windows. As before, I recommend that people not delay in stopping by to get a copy as they do go very quickly.   That session will be 3 PM - 5 PM (in WHC 116). On 10/17, Gander himself will join us for a continued discussion of his work.

Here is a brief description of the book:  Pulitzer citation: "A compelling work that explores cross-cultural tensions in the world and digs deeply to identify what is essential in human experience."

Forrest Gander’s Core Samples for the World is a magnificent compendium of poetry, photography, and haibun (a Japanese form of essay-poem). Collaborating with three acclaimed photographers, Gander considers tensions between the familiar and foreign. His eloquent new work voices an ethical concern for others, exploring empathic relations in which the world itself is fundamental. Taking us around the globe to China, Mexico, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Chile, Core Samples shows how Gander’s “sharp sense of place has made him the most earthly of our avant-garde, the best geographer of fleshly sites since Olson” (Donald Revell, The Colorado Review).

+++

The following is Gander's official bio pulled from his very comprehensive website: http://forrestgander.com/index.html

Born in the Mojave Desert in Barstow, California, Forrest Gander grew up in Virginia and spent significant periods in San Francisco, Dolores Hidalgo (Mexico), and Eureka Springs, Arkansas before moving to Rhode Island. He holds degrees in both English literature and geology. The Trace, his second novel--about a stressed couple whose car breaks down in the middle of the Mexican desert-- will be released in November 2014.

Concerned with the way we are revised and translated in encounters with the foreign, his book Core Samples from the World was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Critics Circle Award.

The author of numerous other books of poetry, including Redstart: An Ecological Poetics and Science & Steepleflower, Gander also writes novels (As a Friend; The Trace), essays (A Faithful Existence) and translates. His most recent translations are Fungus Skull Eye Wing: Selected Poems of Alfonso D'Aquino and Watchword (which won the Villaurrutia Prize) by Pura López Colomé; Spectacle & Pigsty by Kiwao Nomura (winner of Best Translated Book Award); and Firefly Under the Tongue: Selected Poems of Coral Bracho (Finalist, PEN Translation Prize). His most recent anthologies are Pinholes in the Night: Essential Poems from Latin American (selected by Raúl Zurita) and Panic Cure: Poems from Spain for the 21st Century.

Gander's poems appear in many literary magazines in the U.S. and abroad, and have been translated into a dozen languages. His books (see Books) in translation are available in France, Mexico, Chile, Spain, Bulgaria, Japan, Germany, and the Netherlands. He is a United States Artists Rockefeller Fellow and has received fellowships from The National Endowment for the Arts and the Guggenheim, Whiting, and Howard Foundations. In 2011, he was awarded the Library of Congress Witter Bynner Fellowship. The Adele Kellenberg Seaver Professor of Literary Arts and Comparative Literature at Brown University, Gander teaches courses such as Poetry & Ethics, EcoPoetics, Latin American Death Trip, and Translation Theory & Practice.

+++

See everyone later today,
Richard Deming, Coordinator