[Wgcp-whc] Carl Phillips visit--Nov 6th at 3 PM

Richard Deming richard.deming at yale.edu
Sat Oct 31 17:02:18 EDT 2015

Dear Friends,

On Friday, October 30, the WGCP met for our first of two sessions devoted to Carl Phillip's latest collection of poems, Reconnaissance.  I am attaching a set of questions that arose from that fruitful discussion of the work.  It should give everyone an idea of what was covered.  The conversation circulated around the ways that Phillips’s poems interrogate moral positions,  and navigate between private and the personal.  We also discussed at length the ways that Phillips background in the classics informs his work and provides narrative and emotional patterns that his poem revisit and revise ( or is it revive?).

The questions I am attaching will serve as prompts for our next session, Friday November 6th from 3 PM - 5 PM in room B04 of the Whitney Humanities Center.  The poet himself will join us that day for an organic, collegial dialogue about his work.  We look forward to seeing you at the next session  And do feel free to invite any interested parties. The WGCP is open to everyone, even first time visitors.

Onward, ever,

Richard Deming, Group Coordinator