[Wgcp-whc] Fw: New Reading Group in Contemporary Poetics

Mahan, David david.mahan at yale.edu
Sat Sep 24 10:28:49 EDT 2016

Dear WGCP members and friends:

With the sad news that we will be discontinuing the Working Group in Contemporary Poetics, we would like to announce a new version of that group called the Working Group in Contemporary Poetry. (Note the slight name change, but still the same initials.) Please read all the way down to get the info about what you need to know.

First, let us say how deeply grateful we are to Richard and Nancy for their years-long devotion to one of the best gatherings at Yale, and for the work of our group's other founder Jean-Jacques Poucel. The poets and poetry they brought to us over these many years were truly stellar, and could not be duplicated. So THANK YOU to them for their service to us all.

Our new group will take a slightly different tack (though Richard mentioned that it actually resembles a previous form). We will only meet once/month, and at a new location, but still 3-5 PM on a Friday afternoon. And of course we will seek to maintain the vigorous engagement with contemporary work that our group has always striven for. At these monthly gatherings, a member of our group will facilitate a conversation about a collection of poetry of her or his choice (so look to be asked!). We also are thinking that an occasional poetry night with people reading either their own poetry or their favorite poems of others would be attractive to our group. W enjoyed a lovely evening together of this kind back in the spring.

Our first meeting will be FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 4, AT THE RIVENDELL INSTITUTE on 291 Edwards St. (see map below; NB Yale lots open after 4 only). Our own Liz Gray will conduct this first conversation on Karla Kelsey's collection A Conjoined Book (Richmond, California: Omnidawn Publishing, 2014. Unfortunately, at this point we won't be able to purchase copies for everyone, so we are on our own to get a copy, but here are some links:

Available from Omnidawn ($18 + shipping):
http://www.omnidawn.com/products-page/current-books-no-upcoming-books/a-conjoined-bookkarla-kelsey/#bio<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.omnidawn.com_products-2Dpage_current-2Dbooks-2Dno-2Dupcoming-2Dbooks_a-2Dconjoined-2Dbookkarla-2Dkelsey_-23bio&d=CwMFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=gbLWD8jDlXsLB0EDu40UteJ3YuUHCEBAPgsnVaM4bSM&m=d_Smxh7aeU7cjvcV41KtU4g4X3_y_HuFk3Imq1nXfA0&s=MqEwwT9_vQi3-NOZkMQAok6oTTb_mQD5MwEhDygSHyQ&e=>
Links to bio, interviews, reviews, and excerpts can be found on the Omnidawn site.

And from Amazon (prices for new/used range from $7-$18, before shipping):
https://www.amazon.com/Conjoined-Book-Aftermath%C2%A0-%C2%A0Become-Become/dp/1890650943/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474291088&sr=8-1&keywords=karla+kelsey<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Conjoined-2DBook-2DAftermath-25C2-25A0-2D-25C2-25A0Become-2DBecome_dp_1890650943_ref-3Dsr-5F1-5F1-3Fie-3DUTF8-26qid-3D1474291088-26sr-3D8-2D1-26keywords-3Dkarla-2Bkelsey&d=CwMFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=gbLWD8jDlXsLB0EDu40UteJ3YuUHCEBAPgsnVaM4bSM&m=d_Smxh7aeU7cjvcV41KtU4g4X3_y_HuFk3Imq1nXfA0&s=p2HxJUd7KLbiNQNX8C3VzltgmbboY0jOp9k41I3Fkys&e=>

Now, here's what we need from you. Our current WGCP list has over 300, and so for this new group we are also creating a new list. If you want to participate in the new Working Group in Contemporary Poetry, and/or be kept informed about our meetings, you need to email david.mahan at yale.edu directly. (Don't hit 'reply' to this email). If we don't hear from you at all, we will assume that you prefer not to be included at this time.

That's it. We're exciting to keep the conversation about contemporary poetry going, and do hope you can join this new group.

Best,

David Mahan & Liz Gray (for Richard and Nancy)

[cid:2722f959-ec49-46be-a2f3-50fb9d4dede1]