[Yale-readings] Readings at New Haven Public Library

Nancy Kuhl nancy.kuhl at yale.edu
Mon Sep 20 12:20:54 EDT 2004

Writers LIVE! at the New Have Public Library, FREE and open to the public

>September 27th, Monday, 6:30 pm
>Katharine Weber and Cathy Day
>The Little Women: Katharine Weber
>Inspired by the Louisa May Alcott classic, The Little Women is the story
>of the adolescent Green sisters - Meg, Joanna, and Amy - who lead a
>charmed life until they discover that their apparently perfect family is
>far more fragile than they had thought.
>
>"Katharine Weber's novel, which stops being droll only to be funny and
>almost never stops being exceedingly smart, is a hermit crab. Creeping
>into the whelk shell of Louisa May Alcott's celebrated novel, it avails
>itself of the spirals to do double and triple twists inside them."Richard
>Eder, The New York Times
>
>The Circus in Winter: Cathy Day
>In Lima, legend and lore outlive the circus itself, luring contemporary
>inhabitants to faraway places in search of the adventure that has moved
>on. The connected tales of The Circus in Winter display the rise and fall
>of an American circus. Cathy Day follows the performers and their progeny
>into history, vividly bringing the everyday lives of circus people to the
>page.
>
>"A series of sensitively drawn, interconnected short stories makes up
>Day's first novel, which invites readers into the less-than-fanciful realm
>of circus folk . . .Her portrayal of life under and outside the big top is
>accomplished. Strongly recommended.” Library Journal
>
>October 12th, Tuesday, 6:30 pm
>Anthony Doerr
>About Grace: Anthony Doerr
>David Winkler, begins life in Anchorage, Alaska, a quiet boy drawn to the
>volatility of weather and obsessed with snow. When David dreams that his
>infant daughter will drown in a flood as he tries to save her, he comes
>undone. He travels thousands of miles, fleeing family, home, and the
>future itself, to deny the dream.
>
>"About Grace is a taut, gorgeously written odyssey of heartbreak and
>self-forgiveness. It is indeed about grace--what happens when we have
>found it yet manage to lose it--and about so much more: the power of love,
>the power of grief, and above all the power of dreams. "
>Julia Glass, author of Three Junes
>
>October 14th, Thursday, 6:30 pm
>Lewis Lapham
>Lewis Lapham will give a discussion on democracy and america, and be
>signing copies of his new book Gag Order.
>
>October 23rd, Saturday, 3:00 pm
>Edith Grossman
>Don Quixote by Cervantes: Translator Edith Grossman
>Edith Grossman's reads from her definitive English translation of the
>Spanish masterpiece. Widely regarded as the world's first modern novel,
>and one of the funniest and most tragic books ever written, Don Quixote
>chronicles the famous picaresque adventures of the noble knight-errant Don
>Quixote of La Mancha and his faithful squire, Sancho Panza, as they travel
>through sixteenth-century Spain. Come enjoy an afternoon with Don Quixote
> [...]

New Haven Public Library
133 Elm Street Community Program Room, lower level. Accessible via Temple
Street. FREE parking in Temple Street Yale parking Lot.

Contact John @ 946-7001 for questions. All books will be on sale at the
events courtesy of Atticus Books & Cafe.