[Yale-readings] Friendly Reminder - Ordinary Evening Reading Series on Tuesday Dec. 11 at 7PM, Mermaid Room at the Anchor Bar

Nancy Kuhl nancy.kuhl at yale.edu
Sun Dec 9 19:18:47 EST 2007

>ORDINARY EVENING READING SERIES
>FINAL FALL READING WELCOMES
>  PLAYWRIGHT ROB ACKERMAN AND NOVELIST THOMAS GAVIN
>Tuesday, December 11, 7-8pm
>
>The Anchor Bar's Mermaid Room (downstairs)
>272 College Street at Chapel, (203) 865-1512
>

>"STEVE. What are we doing?
>PATTY. You invited them.
>STEVE. Pomegranate seeds and beeswax candles and handmade Japanese plates.
>This is work, it's just work, nothing but work. This is insane."
>- opening lines of Disconnect, a play by Rob Ackerman
>
>"
a bareheaded old man in carpet slippers who wore a pair of spectacles
>with the glass in one frame smashed to a blind star
wandered from one clot
>of firemen to another and at last climbed the steps of a house where
>Schlumberger could see flames jumping in a groundfloor window like
>children wanting to see out."
>- from Kingkill by novelist Thomas Gavin
>

>Rob Ackerman wrote Tabletop (2001 Drama Desk Award Winner for Best
>Ensemble Performance) and Disconnect (produced in 2005 by The Working
>Theater at Classic Stage Company). His first play, Origin of the Species,
>was made into an award-winning feature film starring Amanda Peet. Rob and
>his wife, author Carol Weston, live on the Upper West side with their
>daughters Emme and Lizzi and a cat named Mike.
>
>Thomas Gavin is the author of three novels. Breathing Water, which won the
>Lillian Fairchild Award; The Last Film of Emile Vico; and Kingkill, named
>a Notable Book by the American Library Association and an "Editor's
>Choice" by Time Magazine. His essays have appeared in The Georgia Review,
>The Writer's Chronicle, Best American Essays, and other publications, and
>have been nominated for a Pushcart Prize. An excerpt from his novel in
>progress, Bridge of Lost Boys, appeared in Icarus: New Writing from Around
>the World. An emeritus professor of English at The University of
>Rochester, Gavin has taught at Middlebury College and Delta College, and
>at a number of writing seminars. He has received fellowships from the
>National Endowment for the Arts, the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, and the
>Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.
>
>MARK YOUR CALENDARS
>
>The spring season is packed with surprises, as always, but you can always
>count on an eclectic mix of poetry, fiction, non-fiction and drama from
>local and further-flung writers.  Look for our email about readers for the
>first spring reading on Tuesday, January 22. For biographies, links to
>work, and other information, visit
><http://ordinaryevening.blogspot.com/>http://ordinaryevening.blogspot.com/.
>

>ABOUT THE ORDINARY EVENING SERIES
>
>Started in spring 2005, the Ordinary Evening Reading Series features both
>emerging and established writers in a monthly reading at the Anchor Bar
>Mermaid Room, downstairs. Borrowing its name from the poem "An Ordinary
>Evening in New Haven" by Wallace Stevens, the series aims to bring writers
>and audiences together in a no-fuss, informal environment to enjoy a
>little storytelling on a work-night. Readings are always on a Tuesday at
>7pm, free of charge, both drinkers and teetotalers welcome.
>

>--
><http://ordinaryevening.blogspot.com/>http://ordinaryevening.blogspot.com/
Literature, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library. To post
announcements about poetry and fiction readings, send the full text of the
announcement, including contact information, to
<http://mailman.yale.edu/mailman/listinfo/yale-readings>nancy.kuhl at
yale.edu. Messages sent directly to the Yale-Readings list may not be posted.

For more information about Poetry at the Beinecke Library, visit:
https://beineckepoetry.wordpress.com