[Yale-readings] 4-27: Rumi at Yale

Nancy Kuhl nancy.kuhl at yale.edu
Mon Apr 14 17:47:15 EDT 2008

>Rumi: an 800th birthday party
>With bestselling poet Coleman Barks and
>Grammy Award-winning musicians Paul Winter and Glen Velez
>
>NEW HAVEN – Just 800 years after his birth,
>Rumi, the Persian scholar who founded the
>Whirling Dervishes, is the top selling poet in
>America. On April 27, Rumi’s most famous
>translator, Coleman Barks, will read Rumi’s
>poems to musical accompaniment by Grammy
>Award-winners Paul Winter and Glen Velez. Also
>performing are Poet Laureates Lisa Starr and Marjory Wentworth.
>
>The performance at the Yale University Theatre,
>is the finale of Chabaso Bakery’s National
>Poetry Month celebration. Proceeds to benefit for Connecticut Food Bank.
>
>Details: Sun. April 27, 4-6 p.m., Yale
>University Theatre, 222 York St., New Haven.
>Tickets $25 and $75 (including a
>wine-and-dessert reception with the performers
>after the event) <http://www.breadandpoetry.com>www.breadandpoetry.com
>
>Jelaluddin Rumi: Born in September 1207 in
>medieval Persia, Rumi was widely recognized
>during his youth as a brilliant scholar and
>popular teacher. Meeting in his late 30s a
>wandering Sufi dervish transformed Rumi into a
>mystic who created an estimated 20,000 poems as
>oral lessons to his students. Today, recordings
>of his poems have made the Billboard’s Top 20
>list, and over the last decade he has been the
>best selling poet in America. Deepak Chopra
>notes that reading Rumi by Coleman Barks is an
>ecstatic experience that will shift your
>awareness and give you true exaltation of your own spirit.
>
>Coleman Barks: Over 30 years, Barks has
>published 19 books of Rumi translations,
>including The Essential Rumi and the Soul of
>Rumi, which have sold more than three-quarters
>of a million copies. A retired University of
>Georgia professor, he is widely regarded as the
>man who brought Rumi back into the public eye.
>He was prominently featured in two Bill Moyers’
>PBS specials, and in the prestigious Norton Anthology of World Masterpieces.
>
>Paul Winter: A six-time Grammy Award winning
>soprano saxophonist, Winter’s jazz sextet was
>the first jazz group to officially perform at
>the White House for John F. Kennedy. In the
>early 1960s, his sextet toured Latin America as
>cultural ambassadors for the U.S. State
>Department, playing 160 concerts in 23
>countries. But Winter is best known for his 27
>years of winter solstice concerts at the
>Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York,
>the world’s largest gothic cathedral.
>
>Glen Velez: A three-time Grammy winner, Velez is
>considered one of the most influential
>percussionists our time, as well as being
>responsible for a world-wide resurgence in the
>popularity of the frame drum. He has performed
>with Suzanne Vega, Pat Metheny, John Cage, Steve
>Reich, the New York City Ballet and the Israel
>Philharmonia. He teaches at the Mannes School of
>Music, and gives master classes at the Julliard
>School, Tanglewood and Manhattan School of Music.
>
>Lisa Starr: The Poet Laureate of Rhode Island,
> [...]

Yale Collection of American Literature, Beinecke
Rare Book and Manuscript Library. To post
announcements about poetry and fiction readings,
send the full text of the announcement, including
contact information, to
<http://mailman.yale.edu/mailman/listinfo/yale-readings>nancy.kuhl
at yale.edu. Messages sent directly to the
Yale-Readings list may not be posted.

For more information about Poetry at the Beinecke
Library, visit: https://beineckepoetry.wordpress.com