[Yale-readings] Tuesday March 24th at 7PM: Novelist/Memoirist Douglas Bauer and Poet Lisa Starr

Kuhl, Nancy nancy.kuhl at yale.edu
Wed Mar 4 18:44:35 EST 2009

Ordinary Evening Reading Series Presents Novelist/Memoirist Douglas Bauer and Poet Lisa Starr
at the Anchor Bar, New Haven
Tuesday, March 24th, 7 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: NEW HAVEN,CT, March 4, 2009: Iowa meets Rhode Island for this month's Ordinary Evening! Novelist and memoirist Douglas Bauer will join Rhode Island's Poet Laureate Lisa Starr in a reading at 7PM on Tuesday March 24th in the Anchor Bar's Mermaid Room, 272 College Street in New Haven.

"What do you make of this weather, Hoopie?" I ask.  He shakes his head, winces slightly.
"It's all a tease," he says.  "It's all a tease.  Gets everybody thinkin' things are gonna be great, see.  Then they plant every damn seed they can lay their hands on."  Spit.  "I can just see it: Soon's everything's in the ground, we're gonna see a drouth like few have been before."
I ask Hoop how he knows.
"Too good.  Things are going just too good to mean something's not up.  I've never seen a spring like this."
--Doug Bauer, Prairie City, Iowa

For A Student In One Of My Basic Writing Classes
"Not only are permanent goodbyes the worse, but it is also one of the most horrible things about life in general."
- Excerpt from a student's essay, written, by the author's choice, on "saying goodbye."
May I just say that I love you, Lauren Lonucci
and that somehow your paper made me weep?
You will find the words, eventually,
you will learn to live with grief.
Surely, your diction will improve.
But your heart - your heart is home already.
My young friend, you got this sentence wrong
about eight different ways,
but that bit about 'permanent good-byes' -
A+, A+, A+.
--Lisa Starr

Douglas Bauer's books include the novels Dexterity, The Very Air, and The Book of Famous Iowans, and the non-fiction books Prairie City, Iowa and The Stuff of Fiction. He has edited two anthologies, Prime Times: Writers on Their Favorite Television Shows and Death by Pad Thai and Other Unforgettable Meals. His stories and essays have been appeared in Esquire, The New York Times Magazine, The Atlantic, Harper's, Sports Illustrated, Tin House, Agni, and many other magazines. He's received grants from The National Endowment for the Arts and The Massachusetts Arts Council.

Doug previously worked as a magazine editor and for several years as a free-lance magazine writer. Since 2004, he's been a professor of English at Bennington College and, starting in 1994, a member of the core faculty of the Bennington Writing Seminars. He lives in Boston with his wife and their two dogs.

Lisa Starr's latest collection of poems is Mad with Yellow, which was just published. Rhode Island's Poet Laureate, she moved to Block Island in 1986 and never wanted to leave. With her husband, Champlin, and their children Orrin and Camille, Lisa owns and operates the Hygeia House. Lisa is a two-time Rhode Island poetry fellowship winner, a basketball coach, and a former college instructor and waitress. Her two previous collections are Days of Dogs and Driftwood (1993) and This Place Here (2001), and her individual works have appeared in journals and publications around the country. Lisa is also the founder and director of the Block Island Poetry Project.

Ordinary Evening's Spring 2009 season includes readings by poets, novelists, and non-fiction writers.  We welcome drinkers and teetotalers alike and hope you can join us for what the New Haven Independent called "one of those unofficial civic ventures that make New Haven such a vibrant place."

Read writers' biographies, find links, send us an email, and more at http://www.ordinaryevening.blogspot.com<http://www.ordinaryevening.blogspot.com/>
--
http://www.ordinaryevening.blogspot.com<http://www.ordinaryevening.blogspot.com/>

The Yale-Readings Listserv is sponsored by the Yale Collection of American Literature, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library. To post announcements about poetry and fiction readings, send the full text of the announcement, including contact information, to nancy.kuhl at yale.edu.<http://mailman.yale.edu/mailman/listinfo/yale-readings> Messages sent directly to the Yale-Readings list may not be posted.

For more information about Poetry at the Beinecke Library, visit: https://beineckepoetry.wordpress.com