[yul-naco] NPM changes

Steven Arakawa steven.arakawa at yale.edu
Wed Nov 23 13:39:27 EST 2005

Just a reminder that the 3rd edition of NPM is on Cataloger's Desktop, in
html (or XML?) meaning that you can use the Desktop advanced searching
features (try Search terms:bfm); in addition, the Desktop version has
hotlinks to enhance navigation or access related documents.

Steven Arakawa

At 12:36 PM 11/23/2005, you wrote:
>Dear NACO catalogers,
>
>I'd like to highlight a few of the changes that I noticed in the 3rd
>edition of the NACO Participant's Manual (NPM) that LC issued in August:
><http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/naco/npm3rd.pdf>http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/naco/npm3rd.pdf
>. It is linked on the "Authority Control at Yale" site. By the way, if any
>of you have copies of the old 2nd edition floating around, please either
>throw them away or (if you want to archive them) label them clearly as
>being "obsolete".
>
>1. 053 field (p. 22)
>
>The old NPM gave instructions for requesting an 053 from LC; the new NPM
>gives the link for the web form for making such proposals and specifies
>when catalogers may input an 053 directly (the practice is optional). The
>NACO Coordinating Committee also addressed this topic in a little more
>detail in its recently issued "Yale Policies for NACO NARs":
>http://www.library.yale.edu/cataloging/authorities/names_policy.htm
>
>2. 670 (p. 50-53)
>
>Citations of RLIN searches should now say "RLIN21" rather than RLIN. Do
>not, however, correct any existing 670s; these are valid for when they
>were created. Example of new practice:
>
>         670 ## RLIN21, 5 Nov. 2005$b(hdg: Smith, R. T. T. ; usage: R.T.T.
> Smith)
>
>3. Appendices (p. 96-104)
>
>The first two appendices, on identifying LC bib records in RLIN21 and OCLC
>that are candidates for BFM, were simplified. The old NPM also had
>appendices on SACO and appendices with examples of RLIN and OCLC authority
>records. These were dropped in the new NPM.
>
>Sorry to do this a little belatedly!
>
>-Manon
>
>YUL-NACO Archives: http://mailman.yale.edu/pipermail/yul-naco/

Steven Arakawa
Catalog Librarian for Training & Documentation
Catalog Dept. Sterling Memorial Library. Yale University.
P.O. Box 208240 New Haven, CT 06520-8240
(203)432-8286 steven.arakawa at yale.edu