[Yale ArchivesSpace] ArchivesSpace PROD is clear for staff use

Gorham, Matthew matthew.gorham at yale.edu
Mon Apr 10 15:35:37 EDT 2017

Hi Everyone,

Please feel free to log back in to ArchivesSpace PROD and resume your regular work. Thanks again for your patience, and apologies for the delay in completing the QC process. As I mentioned in my previous message, everything looks good overall after the upgrade, but we did encounter three errors during our testing of the application this morning that I want to make you aware of. The good news is that two of these errors have easy fixes, and the other one does not seem to be part of any system-wide issue.

1.       When a few of our testers tried to conduct searches in the Manage Top Containers interface, the search failed and they all received the same error message. The cause of this error turned out to be a Web browser cache issue, and after these folks cleared their browser caches, their searches were successful. So, as a precaution, it would be a good idea for everyone to clear their browser caches before they resume work in PROD.

2.       Two of our testers tried to edit and save archival objects within a specific resource record in the MSSA repository, and both received an error message and were not able to save their changes. This error is related to a resequencing issue in ArchivesSpace that has been known for a while, but will not be fully fixed until the production release of ArchivesSpace 2.0, because the fix involves a change in the overall architecture of the application. The good news is that we haven't encountered this error very often locally (Melissa Wisner confirmed that similar errors haven't officially been reported to Library IT in nearly a year), and we have a fix available for when it occurs on a case-by-case basis. There is a plug-in installed in PROD, only available to Repository Managers, that enables resyncing of individual resource records when this type of error occurs. To find this plug-in, click on the gear-shaped icon next to your repository's name from any page in ArchivesSpace, hover over Plug-ins in the drop-down menu, and choose Resync from the list of plug-ins. On the resulting page, enter the name of the resource record that you wish to resync into the typeahead, and click Queue Job. Again, this feature is only available to Repository Managers, so if you are a regular ArchivesSpace user, please consult with your Repository Manager if you need to use it. Melissa Wisner performed a resync of the record in which this error occurred this morning, and it solved the problem. Hopefully, given the infrequency of this error's occurrence, you won't even need to worry about this.

3.       One of our testers tried to move an archival object within a resource record in the MSSA repository, received an error message, and was not able to move the object. The folks at Lyrasis checked this out and determined that it is not a system-wide problem, and that it was likely just a one-off error with this particular record.

As always, please report any problems or errors you do encounter in ArchivesSpace to Library IT via ServiceNow (http://web.library.yale.edu/form/report-problem). Lastly, I want to thank my YAMS colleagues and Christy Tomecek from MSSA for their efforts today, our Lyrasis reps (who got up extra early on the West Coast to be on call for us), and especially Melissa Wisner, who worked tirelessly over the past few months to make sure that this upgrade would go smoothly.

All my best,
Matthew (on behalf of the Yale Archival Management Systems Committee)

Matthew Gorham
Assistant Head of the Manuscript Unit for Processing
Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Yale University
P.O. Box 208330
New Haven, CT 06520-8330
203.432.7364
matthew.gorham at yale.edu<mailto:matthew.gorham at yale.edu>